Mentoring in Youth Frontiers
Recently the NSW Government launched a state-wide mentoring program for Years 8-9 in every electorate of NSW, called Youth Frontiers. We are looking for 16 community members from across the Nambucca Shire to mentor local students.
The aim of Youth Frontiers is to engage young people who are not reaching their potential and shift them towards getting more out of life as well as making an impact on others. They are usually not reaching their potential because they do not realise the capacity they have. Youth Frontiers will provide them with a mentor, and the challenge of developing and implementing their own community service project.
As it is a Government-funded program, there is no cost to the mentors for participating other than the time. Mentoring a young person in the region will include:
- 1 Day of Training – develop empowering communication skills [15th May]
- 10 individual mentoring sessions – 15hrs over the 6 months at their school
- 4 half day group workshops
- 1 Dinner for the Mentors
There will be a Showcase at the end of the 6 months to acknowledge and celebrate locally the achievements and personal growth of the students. Awards will be given on a State level in November for the best projects.
GOALS of Youth Frontiers
– Foster leadership skills
– Increase confidence
– Increase community connectedness & engagement
– Introduce young people to the benefits of mentoring
Benefits of mentoring for the young person:
– Proven to increase likelihood of going on to higher education
– Proven to increase relationship satisfaction with friends, partners & family
– Proven to increase community engagement through volunteering or leadership roles
– Mentoring relationship
– Civic project which will build on:
o Their idea of community
o Their roles within their communities
o Leadership attributes & skills
o Identifying problems
o Goal setting
o Presentation skills
Applications Close 5th May 2015.